About this Blog

Inspired by the documentary "Beer Wars" I have taken on the daunting task of profiling a different beer every day in the month of November. The idea is to shine a light on some of the fabulous beers that don't have huge advertising budgets and don't command shelf space in the local super markets. These are the beers that you will find in the local taverns served by people who know and love beer.

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Day 6 "Sudwerk IPA"

As a boy I watched constructions workers building a structure just north of I-80 at the end of Pole Line Rd. in Davis.  At the time the building was pretty much in the middle of nowhere with only the “new” post office as a neighbor.  My paper route provided the opportunity to ride past the construction site every day for what seemed like a year.  I wondered what in the world they were building until the sign was finally raised in front of the Sudwerk Brewery.  Although I didn't know it at the time Sudwerk Hubschbrau would change the way I thought about and drank beer.  My first keg beer was from Sudwerk, up until then I had only had Lucky Lager and Micky’s Big Mouths.  Later, in college I actually rented an apartment for the sole reason that it was walking distance from Sudwerk. 

Since those days I have been back to Sudwerk many, many times for lunches, dinners, birthday parties and business meetings. You can imagine how excited I was to find out that Sudwerk was opening a restaurant in my own back yard.  If you walk over Rainbow Bridge from Old Folsom you will find Sudwerk Riverside.  Sudwerk Riverside occupies the old Cliff House restaurant and I am pretty sure they kept most of the Cliff House staff that served tables here in the 80s.

Back to the beer!  Although I have always enjoyed the Marzen, Pilsner and Lager I decided to profile Sudwerk's IPA today.  I have been on a bit of an IPA kick for a few months now so I wanted to see how this stacked one up.  On the menu Sudwerk’s version is described as their "Richest and Most Flavorful Beer with a Malty, Hoppy and Bitter Taste".  All I can say is their version is definitely a Sudwerk beer and by that I mean it tastes very similar to their Marzen with a hoppier finish.  Sudwerk’s IPA is a great all around beer but it doesn’t stand out as anything astonishing amongst Sudwerk’s other fine beers.  I do have to say that it worked well for washing down the Buffalo wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment