About this Blog

Inspired by the documentary "Beer Wars" I have taken on the daunting task of profiling a different beer every day in the month of November. The idea is to shine a light on some of the fabulous beers that don't have huge advertising budgets and don't command shelf space in the local super markets. These are the beers that you will find in the local taverns served by people who know and love beer.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Day 10 "Oatmeal Stout" from Mendocino Brewing.

Sweet, smooth, bold and full bodied (no I am not talking about my lovely wife).  If you know me then you know that I like things that are solid and full bodied.  Weak and frail things have never seemed to last around me.  This beer didn’t last long either.  If Peets Coffee made a beer I would imagine it would taste like this.  “Robust, with luscious chocolate and coffee flavors, it is balanced with just the right amount of UK Golding hops. Brewed with massive quantities of oats, our Oatmeal Stout is smooth in the extreme” . I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of a burnt taste resulting from over-roasting the malts that normally accompanies beers this dark in color. 
I was able to find this one at Samuel Hornes on Sutter St. in Folsom which is where I find most of my favorites. 

After being located in Hopland, CA for 27 years the Mendocino brewing Company has recently moved to Ukiah, CA.  I look forward to visiting the new location on my next trip to Fort Bragg.

No comments:

Post a Comment