About this Blog

Inspired by the documentary "Beer Wars" I have taken on the daunting task of profiling a different beer every day in the month of November. The idea is to shine a light on some of the fabulous beers that don't have huge advertising budgets and don't command shelf space in the local super markets. These are the beers that you will find in the local taverns served by people who know and love beer.

Friday, November 26, 2010

Day 26 "Powerhouse IPA" from Lockdown Brewing Company

Long before I moved within miles of Folsom Prison and called “Old Town Folsom” my home I was a fan of Johnny Cash’s ”Folsom Prison Blues”. I have long been fascinated by the lure of the famous granite walls that surround one of the most infamous correctional facilities in our American culture. My morning jog often includes touching the perimeter fence of the area aptly named Represa, CA.

Accordingly I have been intrigued by the beers produced by Lockdown Brewing Company (LBC). Since I moved to “Old Town Folsom” I have heard rumors that LBC would open a brewery on our famed Sutter Street. I have heard friends rave of their beers for years. So when I noticed the hand written Lockdown IPA label on a tap at the local Beach Hut Deli I had to try it out.

The Beach Hut Deli is known for their enormous sandwiches so I was pleased to find that the the Lockdown “Powerhouse IPA” was a bold enough libation to wash down my mammoth sandwich. Further investigation of this almost "underground" brewing company produced more intrigue. I have discovered that LBC has recently opened a facility in nearby Rancho Cordova.
LBC’s most recent release is an exquisite example of an American IPA with a ABV of 7.5 and an unknown (to me) IBU which I estimate around 80-90.  This IPA is a crisp and very drinkable brew with enough flavor to catch my interest even after 26 days of tasting many wonderful beers. If you are lucky enough to find it I insist that you try it out.


Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment